Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Some Lingo...

So, I was thinking about the things that I talk about everyday and being in law school I have developed some lingo, such that if you are not Boyd or one of my law school friends you will not understand really what I am saying. I'm not talking about legalese...they actually warn against using a lot of that...but just my operational, day-to-day lingo. Since I have a blog now I thought I might sometimes blog about these things and you might want a reference point. So here goes:
1. Civ. Pro. - Civil Procedure
2. Crim. Pro. - Criminal Procedure: a class I am currently enrolled in taught by professor Gershowitz (aka. the Gersh)
3. My tax class - right now that is U.S. Taxation of International Transactions; a mouthful I know!
4. Marital - Marital Property: a class I am also currently taking.
5. My Comment - It is my big writing project that is a requirement for law review and graduation, when it is finished it will be 45 pages with 175 footnotes.
6. The Board - Law review has an editorial board made up of student editors, a position to which I aspire.
7. PPM - Policy and Procedure Manual: the guide to all things law review!
8. Bluebooking -the skill of accurate legal citation the guide book is called the Bluebook, hence Bluebooking.
9. ACE - a collaborative editing process done by the members and editors of law review. We check the bluebook cites and the grammar, form and style.
10. ACE Group - a group of students to which I am assigned, we in turn are assigned to an AE who gives out our assignments (a portion of an article, usually 20 footnotes or so to edit).
11. AE - Articles Editor and member of the Board.
12. Source Book - first part of the member's ACE process; we make entire copies of all the sources that appear in the article, there are usually about 100-200 of these depending on the length.
13. Cite Book - this is where we make a binder that follows the footnotes of the article, each numbered divider corresponds to a footnote with the same number; we make sure the author's propositions are supported by the materials he cited. Compilation of the Cite Book is also part of the ACE process and the most time consuming. A few weeks ago it took me 36 hours to check 20 footnotes!
14. Tracey - Tracey is an AE, I am her assistant this semester. After her ACE group completes a source book or cite book I, along with my fellow assistant Mike, check over the work to make sure it is complete and accurate. Then I will also edit a portion of the article after the ACE group has given it a once over.
15. Andy - Andy is another AE, I am in his ACE group. I have to complete Source Books and Cite Books for him. (The same kind of work that I check over for Tracey, except that Andy has his own assistants.)
16. Katie - Katie is a Note and Comment Editor (another board position), she looks over my comment when I have deadlines and makes sure it conforms to all requirements and then gives feedback about its form and substance.
17. LSBFF - "Law School Best Friend Forever" this is Emily Edwards. She is the best! Usually I refer to her as Em. She is one of the smartest people I know and she is in my study group! We also watch TV together when we have time...or when we don't and just are lacking motivation (a common ailment).
.
I saved the best for last, but most people know these two already!
18. Mister - this is what I call Boyd; though it is interchangeable with Babe.
19. Misses - this is what Boyd calls me, he has called me this since before we were married.

This is my lingo! There will be a test...I have blogged enough for now!

1 comment:

Dad said...

Essay or multiple choice??

Love you!!