Thursday, March 27, 2008

Obsession

So the last few days and the next three days only one thing has/is likely to be consuming my thoughts...BOARD ELECTIONS. I have done almost everything that is required of me, save the interview. So by 2:00 pm on Saturday there will be nothing else I can do besides sit around and wait for a phone call that will say "yes, you're in" or "thanks but no thanks" which may come Saturday or Sunday. I think the waiting around is the worst. There are 15 applicants and 11 spots, of the 11 spots I have applied for nine!!! (1 - Managing Editor; 5 Articles Editors; 3 Note & Comment Editors) I think those are good odds, but it also means that 4 people will get NOTHING!!! Now, everyone that knows me says that I have "nothing to worry about," "of course you will get a spot" blah blah blah!!! I am all for self confidence, but I have never been the person to walk into a room and immediately say to myself "yeah, I'm awesome, of course I am the best/smartest/prettiest etc person here." Sure, I do my fair share of "judging" (a bad habit and weakness of mine) but I also feel that I rarely find myself at the top when I am doing said judging. I can think of a reason that every person in the group that I am interviewing with on Saturday deserves a slot. But I was talking with my friend Bryan Hanna (an old Ag, who is also interviewing for some of the same spots as me) and he said that it is just humility and not necessarily a bad thing, it is something that makes people want to be your friend and root for you, rather than turning them off by getting on a high horse. (On a side note, we were doing a mediation clinic today in my class and I was playing a role of a licensing company for a franchise who was placing blame on the franchisee for the lackluster sales, the mediation professor told me as a client I was "uppity" then looked back and winked and said "but there's nothing wrong with that." We call this professer Uncle Bruce, he is the most laid back lawyer I have ever met...I will do a whole entry on him later)
Well, as you can tell this Board Election process has been a part of about 85% of all my conversations this week and it will likely continue into the weekend. Sunday night I will either be very happy, or in mourning. But I know that whatever happens, GOD has a plan.
Incidentally, Boyd has said he thinks I have nothing to worry about, but he will be here for me no matter what! Good 'ole Boyd, he loves me no matter what, I love that!
So we wait and see what happens...I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Everyone needs a safety net. I am glad yours is Boyd! ( I don't think you'll need one this time!)